Job Opening – Dev Ops Generalist
We are seeking a Dev Ops Generalist for a crosscutting role at our Back Bay Boston public health informatics company. Linux systems administration, security, cloud architecture and management, database administration, availability optimization, network configuration, continuous integration, and more are all part of job responsibilities. This is a customer-facing position; ability to work with enterprise clients and strong written and verbal communication are important. Off-hours work is limited, but given availability and security responsibilities, the role occasionally requires rapid responsiveness and attention on nights and weekends, both planned and unplanned.
We are a diverse, multi-nationality, multi-ethnic, gender-balanced team. Candidates from historically underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Will also consider junior candidates who don’t yet have all listed skills, but who are self-motivated with ability to learn on the job.
- Minimum 3 years experience in dev ops or systems administration role
- Linux systems administration, preferably Ubuntu
- Familiarity with AWS tools (EC2, RDS, CloudWatch, Route53, etc.)
- MySQL, MongoDB database administration experience
- Experience with at least two to three of: nginx, Apache, PHP-FPM, Node.js, Python, PHP
- Security expertise: encryption, certificate management, server & Web security (e.g., understanding of SQLi, XSS, firewall configuration, SAML/OAuth)
- Experience with automated integration and deployment tools (git/GitHub, Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Jenkins, Ansible)
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Experience working with personal health data, compliance standards such as HIPAA
- Experience with Akamai tools
- Software development experience
What We Offer
- Competitive base salary, commensurate with experience, and annual bonus potential
- Competitive contribution to health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Paid time off
- Unique and growing company culture where you can learn new skills and advance your career
About Epidemico, Inc.
Epidemico is a health data collection and analytics company. We combine natural language processing, crowdsourcing, and public health expertise to provide real-time insights and consumer engagement on population health. Our web and mobile platforms serve as resources for the public, government officials, life science, hospitality and financial companies. The company is a spinoff from Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School and MIT. Our work has been nationally recognized by the Smithsonian, the White House, the Library of Congress as well as national and international media including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, NBC and CNN.
HealthMap is one of Epidemico’s major product lines. HealthMap is an established global leader in utilizing online informal sources for disease outbreak monitoring and real-time surveillance of emerging public health threats. The freely available Web site healthmap.org and mobile app “Outbreaks Near Me” deliver real-time intelligence on a range of emerging infectious diseases for a diverse audience including local health departments, governments, and international travelers. HealthMap brings together disparate data sources, including online news aggregators, eyewitness reports, expert-curated discussions and validated official reports, to achieve a unified and comprehensive view of the current global state of infectious diseases and their effect on human and animal health. Through an automated process, updating 24/7/365, the system monitors, organizes, integrates, filters, visualizes and disseminates online information about emerging diseases in nine languages, facilitating early detection of global public health threats.
Epidemico is expanding into the European Union. In particular, we are beginning work on a large, multi-stakeholder project to improve the management of crises across the EU. Overall, the project aims to produce guidelines, and mobile apps, for enabling and encouraging users of social media to contribute to the security of citizens in crisis situations as well as other contingencies demanding search and rescue activities. We are also expanding our MedWatcher product to the European market, as part of an EU-funded consortium.